Saturday, October 19, 2013

Starbolts #208: There's No Place Like London



Hail!

Ladies, I'd gladly allow any one of you to smack Valentine silly just on principle. I'll sell tickets. Yeah, she's a bit of a umm...what's the word? Whore? Yeah, that sounds about right. She's pretty much the Legion's bicycle. Everyone's had a ride. I don't condone what she and the others are doing to Simon. Hehe. Simon. I picked that name because, well, think of the ultimate Simon Says game he'd be playing with his duplicates.

Now those duplicates have turned into robots and this last couple panels is a homage to the Cybermen invasion scene from the serial "The Invasion". I think Marcus and Britannia are going to be in for a LOT of trouble. Here's hoping they can handle it!

In other news, I am going to work on getting another vid on Youtube soon. Just need to figure some things out.

I also watched a documentary on PBS called ” Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle” where the history of the Superhero genre was discussed. Every single one of the greats were involved from Stan Lee to Alan Moore. I’m not going to lie. I knew most of the facts and figures. I knew the history. There was just something about it that really captivated me. It made me feel like a kid again.
It also made me feel like writing and examine how I craft my own tales of daring-do. Do I take the Marvel approach and write heroes with heart? Or do I create iconic characters? The simple answer, for me, is to do both. Creating superheroes is what I love to do and I think this program reaffirmed my passion for the art form.

Every once in a while, something comes along and reignites the passion we have for whatever you like be it comics, movies, music, wrestling. You name it. For me, it’s always been the pages of a comic book. I’ve been an avid reader since the early ’90s. I’ve grown attached to characters and I decided to write my own things. I dunno why it was reaffirmed. I just know that I really love what I do.

This show was good in that it brought to light why I love comics and why I love to write. I don’t mean to turn this into a review. I just think that every once in a while, we need something that reaffirms a passion for anything we do in this life.

And as far as superheroes go, Todd McFarlane and others in that documentary put it best. Supers aren’t going away any time soon. They’re here to inspire and to aspire to be like. They’re here to show us how to deal with crises. How to have extraordinary powers and yet be human at the same time. They are our modern mythology.

Everyone who loves comics should check out the documentary. It’s a great watch. As for me,.I’m going to keep doing what I do. I’m going to enjoy the mythology for what it is because every now and then we need heroes in our lives. ‘Nuff said.


No comments:

Post a Comment